With Gold Coast United and Sydney FC currently taking turns at the top of the table, Round 6 is set for more Hyundai A-League action as the rest of the competition attempts to unseat them. With another 12 goals added to the already impressive tally so far this season, Round 6 offers home matches to five of the inaugural members with Adelaide United hosting Central Coast Mariners, Newcastle Jets welcoming Brisbane Roar, Sydney FC at home to new boys North Queensland Fury, Wellington Phoenix crossing the Tasman to take on Melbourne Victory, and league leaders Gold Coast United heading west for their clash with Perth Glory at ME Bank Stadium.
Stats, facts & milestones
- Central Coast Mariners' striker Matt Simon is set to make his 50th Hyundai A-League appearance. Simon has barely missed a game for the Mariners since making his Hyundai A-League debut in January, 2007
- Brisbane Roar captain Craig Moore is set to make his 50th Hyundai A-League appearance. Moore joined the Roar at the start of the Hyundai A-League 2007/08 season after playing out an extensive career overseas
- Sydney FC striker John Aloisi is set to make his 400th appearance at national league level. Aloisi joined Sydney FC in 2008 after stints at Adelaide City, Royal Antwerp, Cremonese, Portsmouth, Coventry City, Osasuna, Alaves and Central Coast Mariners
- Melbourne Victory stand-in captain Rodrigo Vargas is set to make his 200th appearance at national league level. Before joining Melbourne Victory in 2006, Vargas played 127 NSL matches for Melbourne Knights - Meanwhile, Melbourne Victory midfielder Nick Ward is due to make his 50th Hyundai A-League appearance. Ward made 21 Hyundai A-League appearances with Perth Glory before joining the Victory in 2007
- Perth Glory are aiming to win a new club-record four home wins in a row in the Hyundai A-League - Gold Coast United striker Shane Smeltz is set to make his 100th appearance in all Australian national leagues. Smeltz played in the NSL for Brisbane Strikers, Adelaide City and Adelaide United, and also made 39 Hyundai A-League appearances for Wellington Phoenix before joining Gold Coast in 2009. - Gold Coast United defender Michael Thwaite is set to make his 100th national league level appearance. Before joining Gold Coast in 2009, Thwaite played for Marconi, National Bucharest, Wisla Krakow, SK Brann and Melbourne Victory - Gold Coast United defender Kristian Rees is set to make his 50th Hyundai A-League appearance
- Happy birthday to Gold Coast United's Steve Fitzsimmons who turns 33 today, 7 September - Later in the week North Queensland Fury defender Chris Tadrosse turns 24 on Thursday 10 September - Gold Coast United Dutch import Bas Van Den Brink, who celebrates his birthday for the first time in Australia. Bas turns 27 on Friday 11 September - Also on Friday Brisbane Roar young-gun Michael Zullo hits a milestone when he turns 21