Manchester United fans were involved in a mass crush as they struggled to get into Chelsea on Sunday, reports The Sun. More than 3,000 Red Devils supporters descended on Stamford Bridge but hundreds were still outside the stadium around 20 minutes before kick-off.
Fans claimed the electronic turnstiles were not working quickly enough and that stewards struggled to control the crowds.
One eye-witness said a steward suggested opening a door to relieve congestion.
And Rob Woods, of the Manchester United Supporters' Trust, revealed it was a harrowing experience.
He said: "There were three or four thousand of us and there just weren't enough stewards to cope.
"They insisted on staggering us through by doing a ticket check with a bar-code scanner. It wasn't letting people through quickly enough and it just seemed really badly organised.
"It was getting quite scary."
Chelsea confirmed there had been delays prior to kick-off but said it had been due to ticketless fans trying to gain admission.
A Blues spokesman said: "If we had jeopardised the integrity of our ticket checks it would have caused more problems inside the ground."