Victor Munoz upset with timing of Getafe sacking

Victor Munoz says Getafe are wrong to have sacked him. The coach was dismissed yesterday, as was confirmed by new sports director Toni Munoz.

Victor Munoz says Getafe are wrong to have sacked him.

The coach was dismissed yesterday, as was confirmed by new sports director Toni Munoz.

Of their last nine matches, Getafe have lost seven and they are just one point and one place above the drop zone with five games to save themselves.

"We are close to the drop but we have a good chance of continuing in the Primera Division next year," said Munoz, whose final game in charge was Sunday's 2-1 home loss to Villarreal.

"I told them one more game would clear up the situation but it wasn't to be and they decided to dismiss me.

"I'm sure they will win (against Mallorca)."

The 52-year-old Munoz, who took the reins of Getafe last summer following the departure of Michael Laudrup, added: "I didn't have time to develop what I had in mind."

Munoz was previously in charge of Recreativo Huelva, from where he was sacked in February 2008. He has also coached at Panathinaikos, Villarreal, Mallorca and home-town club Real Zaragoza.

"I thank the club for the confidence they showed in me," Munoz said.

"The majority (of the players) have had a professional attitude. I've told them that it's in their hands to get the club out of trouble."

Have your say