>
My tribe

Marseille sack Patrice Evra after attack on fan

Olympique Marseille have sacked Patrice Evra after his attack on a fan last week.

The former Manchester United and Juventus fullback was suspended by OM last week after kicking a Marseille fan in the head before his side's Europa League tie at VitoriaGuimaraes.

He has now been sacked by his club.

OM president Jacques-Henri Eyraud said: "Today, there is sadness. For Patrice Evra first, who obviously understood all the consequences of his action and who will no longer be able to exercise his passion at Olympique de Marseille.

"For Marseille fans then, who are stigmatized because of the irresponsible behavior of a handful of them. For the institution finally, whose reputation is tainted."

Evra is still awaiting for French authorities to decide on a possible domestic ban but European football's governing body have confirmed that the 36-year-old will not be allowed to play in any Uefa competitions until June 30 2018.

Evra, who was sent off before the game had kicked off, has also been fined £8,829 (€10,000) whilst Marseille have been told to pay £22,074 (€25,000).

About the author

Paul Vegas

Have your say
  • Add your favourite leagues and clubs
  • Build your own personal news stream
  • Easily share your favourite stories
  • Connect with what your friends are saying

Select your favourite
leagues and clubs
to get started.

Already part of MyTribe?