Bournemouth served winding up notice
Bournemouth chairman Jeff Mostyn says the club have been served with a winding-up petition by HM Revenue & Customs.
The debt-ridden League One club lodged a further notice of intent to appoint an administrator in an effort to stay in business earlier this week.
The Cherries are also the subject of takeover interest and Mostyn expressed his disappointment at the HMRC's decision, although he expects it to be quickly withdrawn.
"It is our understanding that HMRC has issued a winding-up petition against the football club," said Mostyn in a statement on the club's official website.
"We are extremely disappointed at the stance taken by the Revenue in issuing the petition without any consultation or negotiation to reach a reduced settlement.
"We understand the stance taken by the Revenue applies to all football clubs in as much as they will not negotiate unless they receive preferred status.
"Supporters can rest assured, however, that a further notice of intent to appoint an administrator was lodged and accepted by the High Court on Monday 4th February 2008, therefore affording the necessary protection to the football club from its creditors.
"In the circumstances, HMRC will be asked to withdraw their petition.
"I would once again like to reassure all supporters that I am working non-stop to bring my negotiations with both investors and individuals interested in purchasing the club to a satisfactory conclusion. All my efforts are geared towards securing the future of AFC Bournemouth."
The Cherries, who are rumoured to be £4million in debt, are currently third bottom in League One, but are just a point from safety.