Messi left Barca last year for PSG after failing to reach terms over a new deal.
El Mundo has published a series of emails between Jorge Messi, the father and agent of the Argentine, his lawyers and former president Josep Maria Bartomeu and the board of directors of Barça regarding the demands of Messi to sign a new contract. The contact was made in 2020.
After several messages back and forth, on June 11, the lawyer Jorge Pecourt sent a message to Bartomeu, the CEO Òscar Grau and the head of legal services Romàn Gomez-Ponti with the 11 conditions that Messi had to renew with Barça. This email also was copied to Jorge Messi and Alfonso Nebot, head of the 'family office'.
Messi's requests to renew were:
1) Contract until 2023 with the possibility of a unilateral extension for Leo Messi.
2) Fixed salary: reduction of 20% of the fixed salary of 2020/21, recovering 10% of the salary in 21/22 and another 10% in 22/23 with interest of 3% per year.
3) Payment of loyalty bonuses pending collection with interest.
4) Box for the families of Messi and Luis Suárez
5) Private Christmas flight for the whole family to Argentina
6) Payment of amounts deferred in the 2020/21 season plus interest in the event of contract termination.
7) Bonus of 10 million euros for signing the contract
8) Increase in remuneration in the event of a tax increase
9) Elimination of the termination clause, which will be established in an amount of 10,000 euros.
10) Renewal of Pepe Costa
11) Barça's signature of commitment to pay Rodrigo Messi the commissions that were owed to him
In the end, the two parties couldn't reach a deal and weeks later Messi's camp sent the infamous burofax requesting a transfer. A demand which was rejected by Bartomeu.