Ten Hag is demanding attacking passing in training and also is seeking to end the team spirit problems within the squad.
Ten Hag, 52, made it clear:
- He will not tolerate sideways and backwards passing — subbing off players in training who do NOT play forward.
- Players must improve on their fitness and 'unacceptable' body language from last term.
- Dressing-room cliques are to be totally eradicated.
- Youngsters will get their chance to impress and oust senior players.
- Mega-money stars' medal hauls and salaries count for nothing in his selection plans, only training performances.
A source said: “There has been a lot of attention on one- and two-touch passing drills where players must try to go forward.
“If they go sideways or backwards too often he stops the game and the player is taken off for a minute or two."