My tribe
As featured on NewsNow: Football news

Premiership Wrap: Chelsea hit seven, Man Utd manage three, Tottenham held at home and Wigan win

Chelsea hammer seven past Sunderland and three second half goals saw Manchester United finally overcome a stubborn Burnley side. League leaders Chelsea had raced into a four goal lead over Sunderland by half time at Stamford Bridge.

Nicolas Anelka started the rout after just eight minutes, then Florent Malouda doubled his side's advantage with a superb solo effort nine minutes later.

Full-back Ashley Cole made it three on 22 minutes to score the Premier League's 18,000th goal.

Cole then set up Frank Lampard to volley home a fourth 11 minutes before the break.

Michael Ballack added a fifth seven minutes after the restart, and although substitute Bolo Zenden pulled one back against his former club four minutes later, Anelka helped himself to his second on 65 minutes.

Lampard claimed his second in the last minute and there was still time for Darren Bent's injury-time strike to leave the final score at 7-2.

Under-pressure Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez saw his side threw away a precious victory at Stoke.

The Reds were leading 1-0 with just seconds of normal time remaining when Germany international Robert Huth stabbed home an equaliser to cancel out a Sotirios Kyrgiakos effort.

New Burnley boss Brian Laws saw his side hold Manchester United at Old Trafford for just over an hour before they finally succumbed 3-0.

Dimitar Berbatov opened the scoring to be followed by further strikes from Wayne Rooney and substitute Mame Biram Diouf - his first for the club - made sure of the points.

Wolves crashed 2-0 at home to fellow strugglers Wigan and had to play the entire second half with 10 men after having Richard Stearman sent off for a second bookable offence in injury-time at the end of the first half.

Keeper Marcus Hahnemann saved Hugo Rodallega's resulting penalty and Paul Scharner blasted the rebound wide, but McCarthy finally beat the American on the hour.

Latics midfielder Hendry Thomas was later sent off for a second yellow card offence, but his side doubled their lead through Charles N'Zogbia with 17 minutes remaining.

Fifth-placed Tottenham saw their fourth place ambitions stall when they could not find a way past lowly Hull as Harry Redknapp's 500th Premier League game ended scoreless with keeper Boaz Myhill ensuring the visitor's claimed a point.

About the author

Have your say
  • Add your favourite leagues and clubs
  • Build your own personal news stream
  • Easily share your favourite stories
  • Connect with what your friends are saying

Select your favourite
leagues and clubs
to get started.

Already part of MyTribe?