As featured on NewsNow: Football news

Newcastle boss Bruce admits job fears during takeover talk

Newcastle United boss Steve Bruce admits he feared for his job amid takeover talk earlier this summer.

Bruce admits he spent the final weeks of the season believing his days were numbered at St James' Park.

But the £300million Saudi-backed deal collapsed at the end of July and Bruce remains in charge, unveiling £35million's worth of signings in the form of Callum Wilson, Jamal Lewis and Ryan Fraser on Wednesday.

"A new brush always sweeps clean, so I was under no illusions of what might be coming," said Bruce as he spoke for the first time following the Saudi withdrawal.

"There was nothing I could influence. But I always said, whatever is best for the club, I would go along with. If that meant a takeover and I wasn't here, then I was always of that mindset.

"Once it was knocked on its head it was like, 'Right, I have to get my head back on that we're going back to work'. I had to work out how we could improve and go forward."

About the author

Paul Vegas

Have your say
×

Subscribe and go ad-free

For only $10 a year

  1. Go Ad-Free
  2. Faster site experience
  3. Support great writing
  4. Subscribe now
Launch Offer: 2 months free
×

Subscribe and go ad-free

For only $10 a year

Subscribe now
Launch Offer: 2 months free