As featured on NewsNow: Football news

Hyundai A-League wrap - Round 2

The Hyundai A-League enjoyed a stellar round 2 which saw one of the most exciting matches in the competition's history. The Melbourne Victory versus Brisbane Roar clash was one for the annuls, ending with a 3-3 draw in a match that ebbed and flowed and produced five brilliant goals in the process.

Round 2 of the 2009/10 A-League season went like this:

On Friday night, Central Coast Mariners and Newcastle Jets contested in the F3 derby with honours being shared at Bluetongue Stadium.

The Jets hit the lead through South Korean import Jin-Hyung Song but fought back thanks to a maiden goal from defender Nigel Boogaard, giving both sides an unbeaten beginning to the new campaign.

Central Coast Mariners: 1 (Nigel BOOGAARD 50') Newcastle Jets: 1 (Jin-Hyung SONG 47')

Friday, 14 August 2009 Bluetongue Stadium, Gosford Referee:Ben WilliamsAssistant Referees: Sarah Ho & Scott Edeling Fourth Official: Gerard Parsons Crowd: 9,573 Yellow cards:CCM - Adam KWASNIK 41', John HUTCHINSON 45' +1, Nigel BOOGAARD 73' New - Fabio VIGNAROLI 21', Nikolai TOPOR-STANLEY 56', Jin-Hyung SONG 85'

New A-League clubs, Gold Coast United and North Queensland Fury, got their Queensland rivalry underway at Skilled Park on Saturday evening but it was all one-way traffic as United demolished the Fury 5-0.

Last season's A-League Player of the Year and Golden Boot winner Shane Smeltz was on fire for Miron Bleiberg's side, scoring four goals with Australian international Jason Culina and former Hartlepool striker Joel Porter both brilliant for the victors.

Gold Coast United: 5 (Shane SMELTZ 29'/54'(pen)/62'/63', Tahj MINNIECON 74') North Queensland Fury: 0 Saturday, 15 August 2009 Skilled Park, Robina Referee: Chris Beath Assistant Referees: Jason Power & Ashley Beecham Fourth official: Alan Milliner Crowd: 7,526 Yellow cards:GCU - Steve PANTELIDIS 73' NQF - Beau BUSCH 52', Karl DODD 53', Royston GRIFFITHS 60', Paul KOHLER 85'

In what may prove to be the match of the season, Melbourne Victory hosted Brisbane Roar at Etihad Stadium, with the contest ending in a scintillating 3-3 draw.

The Roar went ahead 2-0 thanks to a screamer from Danny Tiatto before the Victory pulled one back through Carlos Hernandez who also produced some brilliance from outside the area.

The visitors then went ahead further when Brazilian Henrique dazzled the crowd with a solo effort that completely flummoxed the Victory defence.

However, the home side fought their way back into the match when Danny Allsopp hit a sweet left-footed volley from the area and Hernandez produced a stunning free-kick to level the score and provide each side with a point.

Melbourne Victory: 3 (Carlos HERNANDEZ 33'/70', Danny ALLSOPP 64') Brisbane Roar: 3 (Danny TIATTO 22', Sergio VAN DIJK 24' (pen), HENRIQUE 37') Saturday, 15 August 2009 Etihad Stadium, Melbourne Referee: Strebre Delovski Assistant Referees: Luke Brennan & James Nicolopoulos Fourth Official: Alex Azcurra Crowd: 18,603 Yellow cards:Mel - Archie THOMPSON 3' Bris - HENRIQUE 37' Matt MCKAY 80'

On Sunday, the Wellington Phoenix came from behind to edge out Perth Glory at Westpac Stadium.

Dutchman Victor Sikora put the Glory ahead in the 4th minute before Barbados import Paul Ifill provided a first-half leveller and Leo Bertos clinched a winner with two minutes remaining.

The Phoenix managed their first win for the season whilst the Glory remain without a point after two unlucky performances.

Wellington Phoenix: 2 (Paul IFILL 25', Leo BERTOS 88') Perth Glory: 1 (Victor SIKORA 4') Sunday, 16 August 2009 Westpac Stadium, Wellington Referee: Peter O'Leary Assistant Referees: Brent Best & Jan Hendrick Hintz Fourth official: Matthew Conger Crowd: 10,024 Yellow cards:Well - Michael FERRANTE 1', Manny MUSCAT 15' Per - Wayne SRHOJ 77', Adriano PELLEGRINO 83'

Finally, Sydney FC made it two from two when they overcame Adelaide United 1-0 at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Mark Bridge was the difference with his 77th minute goal and gave Vitezslav Lavicka a perfect start as coach of the Sky Blues.

Sydney FC: 1 (Mark Bridge 77') Adelaide United: 0 Sunday, 16 August 2009 Sydney Football Stadium Referee: Matthew Breeze Assistant Referees:Ben Wilson & Daniel Dewhurst Fourth official: Kurt Ams Crowd: 14,924 Yellow cards:Syd - Simon COLOSIMO 26', Shannon COLE 52', Terry MCFLYNN 65' Adel - Scott JAMIESON 70'

Video of the day:

Andrew Slevison
About the author

Andrew Slevison

Have your say

Subscribe and go ad-free

For only $10 a year

  1. Go Ad-Free
  2. Faster site experience
  3. Support great writing
  4. Subscribe now
Launch Offer: 2 months free

Subscribe and go ad-free

For only $10 a year

Subscribe now
Launch Offer: 2 months free