A record $7.35bn (£5.6bn) was spent on transfers in men's football during 2019, according to a report by world governing body Fifa, reports BBC Sport.
The figure is an increase of more than 5.8% on 2018 when it comes to transfers across the globe.
English clubs spent £1.5bn, which was a 22.1% decrease from 2018 but still the most overall.
There was a 16.3% rise in spending in the women's games, to $652,032 (£497,000).
The United States had the most players - at almost 20% - of the 833 transfers made in the women's game.
The were 18,042 such moves - also a record - in the men's game, involving 15,463 players of 178 different nationalities.
Key points from the men's report
- Permanent club-to-club transfers only represented 11.6% of all moves in 2019.
- The most common type of transfer was that of players out of contract, which was 64.3%.
- Brazil had the most clubs involved in international transfers with 306. Germany (144) was second, Spain third (130) and England (128) fourth.
- Brazil also had the highest number of incoming transfers with 831, while England had the highest number from Uefa countries with 694.
- English clubs spent £1.5bn, which was a 22.1% decrease from 2018 but still the most of any country.
- In terms of net value, Portugal generated the most with £384m, with England the worst in that category with minus £549.9m.
Key points from the women's report:
- The total number of international transfers went from 696 in 2018 to 833 in 2019.
- The number of moves for players out of contract was 86.3%.
- The number of associations involved in international transfers went from 74 to 86.
- There were 188 clubs from 45 different European associations involved in 646 international transfers, which was more than three quarters of the worldwide activity.
- Players moving from Australia to the US was the most common transfer and switches the other way around was the second most popular.
- Spain had the most number of incoming transfers with 104, with the US (72) second and England (57) in third.
Need a VPN? Or seeking to switch? Then support Tribal Football by clicking here to sign up with our official partners NordVPN. Not only will you receive the best VPN experience, but also great discounts by signing up via Tribal Football. Thanks for your support!