Personal playing career
1) Batistuta, Edmundo, Balbo, Chiesa... you played with some great strikers for Fiorentina. What was it like to be in a midfield with such forwards ahead of you?
It was easy because the opponents used to mark them, so I had more freedom!
2) How much would Batistuta be worth today? Is he the best striker you played with?
He would be as good as the top players of now and most likely he was the most prolific striker I've ever played with.
3) Did you ever have an offer to play in England or abroad? Were there bigger club offers to leave Fiorentina?
I got an offer from Manchester United in 2000, but the club didn't sell me.
4) How special was it winning the Coppa Italia? Is it a surprise the club hasn't won any top level silverware since then?
It was good, but unfortunately I was on the bench that match: I took it badly.
5) Any surprise Fatih Terim is still working today? You've spoken of how big an impact he made with Fiorentina, tell us a little why he was so good.
I'm not surprised. He was innovative at the time and he is relevant now.
1) Before last season began, you talked about consolidation. Were you happy with the campaign?
I arrived 1 day before the preseason retreat. I found a team already built in full and I was satisfied anyway
2) How would you assess your own performance?
I think we had a good season in the end. I would judge it more than enough.
3) How do you get along with president Enrico Lenzi? What is the target for next season?
The relationship with Lenzi is excellent even, if we don't see each other often. For the next season we must aim for salvation, trying to have a quiet championship.
4) What about Lenzi's ultimate ambitions? Does Real Forte Querceta have the potential to reach Serie B or even A?
About the ambitions of Lenzi, you have to ask him. I don't think there is a chance to see the Real Forte Querceta in Serie A. It would already be a goal to be able to reach the professionals.
1) What about the talent in Serie D? Should Serie A clubs be taking a close look at the young players in the division? Who impressed you last season?
There is talent, but most of the players who play there do not have what they need to make the step among the professionals. It is unlikely that the Serie A clubs can draw from our championship; it can happen just with young prospective kids.
2) Does Real Forte Querceta plan to use the loan market? If so, how do you approach identifying potential loan signings from higher ranked clubs?
We will have some loans like last year. However, it is difficult for us to make purchases from professional clubs.
Juve under 23 had an excellent championship! All Serie A clubs should have B teams, in order to grow their youngsters by monitoring them closely.
1) Trapattoni, Mancini, Spalletti, Terim... you played for some the game's best coaches - who has had the biggest influence on your style of coaching today?
I tried to take something from all of them.
2) What's your coaching ambitions? Do you take inspiration from Maurizio Sarri and the way he worked his way to the top after starting in the lower divisions? Would you be tempted to work abroad?
My ambition is to be able to do better and better without too many hassles. We'll see. I like Sarri but I'm not inspired by him. As for abroad, it would be stimulating.