As featured on NewsNow: Football news

Everton chief Thelwell explains new Metcalfe deal despite ACL

Everton director of football Kevin Thelwell says Jenson Metcalfe deserves his new four-year contract.

The Blues announced on Tuesday afternoon that the 18-year-old had put pen-to-paper on a deal which would keep him at FInch Farm until at least 2026.

The director of football told evertontv: "This long-term contract is testament to Jenson's hard work and progression throughout our Academy.

"He has been dedicated throughout his rehabilitation from his knee injury and we are all looking forward to him getting back out on the pitch and continuing to develop his talent under Paul Tait and his coaching staff."

Metcalfe is currently sidelined with an anterior cruciate ligament injury which he picked up earlier this year. The midfielder is going through a rehabilitation process to work his way back to full fitness.

He said, "The club means everything to me. It really is a dream to sign this contract and play here and is a reward for me and my family for all our hard work.

"It's very important for me to have that faith from the club. I've not had the year I wanted to because of the injury but this has given me joy.

"Rehab is going well. I've made some progress over the past few months, been out on the grass and I'm happy to be out there with my boots back on."



Support Tribal Football with this great deal from our partners ExpressVPN. You get an extra three months free with the 12-month plan (a saving of 49%!). All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee if you change your mind. Click here to try now, risk-free for 30 days - and support Tribal Football in the process.

Video of the day:

About the author

Paul Vegas

Have your say
×

Subscribe and go ad-free

For only $10 a year

  1. Go Ad-Free
  2. Faster site experience
  3. Support great writing
  4. Subscribe now
Launch Offer: 2 months free
×

Subscribe and go ad-free

For only $10 a year

Subscribe now
Launch Offer: 2 months free