The Premiership's plans of launching an 'international round' to their season has predictably brought scorn from FIFA president Sepp Blatter and his UEFA counterpart Michel Platini.
The Daily Mail says FIFA president Blatter, who is known to be strongly opposed to the scheme that has been greeted by waves of negative reaction, has demanded that official documents relating to the planned project be sent to the world governing body.
They will discuss the ramifications that threaten to change the face of football at their next executive committee meeting in Zurich on March 14. Such is the initial FIFA furore to Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore's brainchild that there was even talk at their headquarters yesterday that the influential supremo might be forced to step down from his position on the FIFA strategic committee, which was set up last year.
UEFA president Platini tore into the plan with a withering attack. He said: "You already have no English coach, you have no English players and maybe now you will have no club playing in England. It's a joke."