My tribe
As featured on NewsNow: Football news

Carling Cup round up

All Premier League teams survived unscathed in the second round of the Carling Cup although violence inside and outside of Upton Park marred West Ham's 3-1 win over Millwall. Millwall took the lead through Neil Harris but a late leveller from Junior Stanilas took the game into extra time were a penalty from Stanilas and a Zavon Hines strike secured the victory.

Wolves went through 6-5 on penalties against Swindon after a 0-0 draw at Molineux.

Burnley were thankful to a Steven Fletcher brace to avoid an upset at Hartlepool United.

Adam Boyd put the League One outfit in front on 39 minutes, but Fletcher equalised late on and then hit the winner in extra time.

Birmingham City also come from behind to avoid an upset after securing a 2-1 success at Southampton.

The Saints went ahead through Adam Lallana on 51 minutes, but two late strikes from Lee Bowyer and Lee Carsley proved decisive.

Tom Cairney and Jozy Altidore scored debut goals for Hull and Geovanni added a third in the 3-1 defeat of Southend.

Franck Moussa notched Southend's consolation.

Blackburn also overcame League One opposition, 3-1 at Priestfield over Gillingham.

David Dunn's settled the nerves with an early strike and David Hoilett and Morten Gamst Pedersen scored either side of Simeon Jackson's penalty.

Mark Davies' first goal for Bolton Wanderers was enough to see off Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park.

Troubled Portsmouth coasted to a 4-1 home win over Hereford.

Frederic Piquionne's first goal for Pompey broke the deadlock and John Utaka, Niko Kranjcar and Richard Hughes were also on target before Tristan Plummer scored a consolation from the penalty spot.

About the author

Have your say
  • Add your favourite leagues and clubs
  • Build your own personal news stream
  • Easily share your favourite stories
  • Connect with what your friends are saying

Select your favourite
leagues and clubs
to get started.

Already part of MyTribe?