As featured on NewsNow: Football news

Boca Juniors vice-president Riquelme: We 'will' sign Man Utd striker Cavani

Boca Juniors vice-president Juan Roman Riquelme says their move for Manchester United striker Edinson Cavani isn't over.

The 34 year-old Uruguay international held talks with Riquelme about moving to Boca ahead of signing a new 12 month deal with United last week. The veteran arrived last summer on a free transfer from Paris Saint Germain and despite some injury problems, has enjoyed an outstanding first season in England.

Former Villarreal and Barcelona star Riquelme says while disappointed, Boca will try again for Cavani next year.

He told TNT Sports via Sport-Express: "I think that next year Cavani will be with us.

"He told us himself that he was looking forward to his arrival. The doors are always open for him. His arrival should be associated with the return of the public to the stadiums.

"But today we do not have an audience."

So far this season, Cavani has managed 36 appearances for United, scoring five goals and producing five assists.

Boca Juniors, meanwhile, sit second in the first phase of the Argentine Primera Division in Group B. Boca drew 1-1 with River Plate on Sunday. Riquleme, a former Argentina international, has been vice-president at Boca since 2019.


- updated May 18

Video of the day:

About the author

Paul Vegas

Have your say
×

Subscribe and go ad-free

For only $10 a year

  1. Go Ad-Free
  2. Faster site experience
  3. Support great writing
  4. Subscribe now
Launch Offer: 2 months free
×

Subscribe and go ad-free

For only $10 a year

Subscribe now
Launch Offer: 2 months free