As featured on NewsNow: Football news

Bale insists he wasn't seeking to insult Tottenham over Real Madrid return claims

Gareth Bale insists he wasn't seeking to insult Tottenham after declaring he would be returning to Real Madrid this summer.

The Wales star, 31, clarified his present situation on Monday while on international duty after comments last week that he "is only doing a season at Spurs" caused a stir.

However, he has hinted that returning to Real doesn't necessarily mean he will play for them again amid reports he doesn't feature in their plans for next season.

He said: "Going into next season, my contract says legally I have to go back to Real Madrid which is what I stated.

"I'm not being disrespectful to anybody, that's literally what I have to do.

"Real Madrid are I guess my parent club and as far as I agreed I am on loan at Tottenham until the end of the season and then I go back. That is the plan so far.

"The reason I left is because I wanted to play games and get match fit and enjoy my football.

"Obviously come the summer I will be going back to Real Madrid and will go from there. The plan is to go back and whether then I sit down with my agent and decide is something I will do in the summer."

Video of the day:

About the author

Paul Vegas

Have your say
×

Subscribe and go ad-free

For only $10 a year

  1. Go Ad-Free
  2. Faster site experience
  3. Support great writing
  4. Subscribe now
Launch Offer: 2 months free
×

Subscribe and go ad-free

For only $10 a year

Subscribe now
Launch Offer: 2 months free