FFA chief Lowy to stay on regardless of 2022 World Cup bid
Frank Lowy has vowed to stay on as Football Federation Australia chief irrespective of the result for the 2022 World Cup bid.
With the announcement on who will host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups fast approaching, Lowy reaffirmed his belief Australia would win the FIFA vote in Zurich on December 2.
"If we lose I am going to stay the distance," Lowy, who turned 80 last week, said at a Sydney FC business function.
"There is no question that I will continue as chairman of FFA, and the whole FFA team will suck up the disappointment and get on with the job.
"It would be a crushing disappointment to me personally, and to everyone who loves the game.
"But life will go on, and football will go on.
"There were some doubts if I was going to stay or not but there's no question about that."
Lowy's commitment is positive news at a crucial time for the game in Australia with some A-League clubs experiencing difficulties while the Socceroos themselves are approaching a rebuilding phase ahead of the 2014 World Cup.
"I believe we have the best bid, I know we have the best bid," he said.
"I know we have convinced many of the FIFA executive committee that we have the best bid.
"But will we have the critical 13 votes needed to win it? In my heart I really believe so.
"It wasn't very hard for me to sell it.
"There's a lot of support for Australia, a lot of sympathy for Australia, not only what we're doing in football but Australia has got a great name in many other aspects so I think we're reaping the benefit."
Lowy also said he hoped the announcement wouldn't be delayed due to the recent vote buying controversy.
"I couldn't stand it [being delayed] and it wouldn't be good for us either," he said.
"I fought very hard not to have it delayed. Our chances haven't diminished or improved as a result of the controversy.
"The ethics committee has a very hard job to do and I'm sure they'll do the right thing."