Wigan laugh off reports that N’Zogbia has gone on strike

Reports that Wigan winger Charles N'Zogbia has gone on strike by refusing to train have been denied by Latics boss Roberto Martinez.
pl_tribal

Reports that Wigan winger Charles N'Zogbia has gone on strike by refusing to train have been denied by Latics boss Roberto Martinez.

Aston Villa and Sunderland have both targeted the France international this summer, with Wigan rejecting a bid from Villa earlier this week.

"That's a new one," Martinez told Sky Sports News. "But no, not at all.

"I think sometimes it's all too easy for the press to speak about a player away from his daily work.

"Charlie is a perfectionist and is working really, really hard to take his personal game to a different level.

"He's been a true professional around the place. He couldn't be any further away from being on strike."

Martinez confirmed N'Zogbia trained as normal on Thursday and insisted the club were not willing to accept anything less than their valuation for the former Newcastle man.

"In a way, it's always a good sign when you've got players that are wanted away from here," he said.

"But we've been very clear. The chairman has set a price and if that's not met, Charlie is an important part of our football club.

"He's a got a big role here. I'm sure that as a player, he helps you get through the hard work because he comes in with a big smile.

"There's something special in the dressing room, the players have got a great bond between them."

 
It's kicking off again! Click here for your No1 source for Wigan transfer market news and gossip.

Have your say