As the media waited for the official announcement and presentation of new Wigan boss Roberto Martinez a sudden and unexpected hitch developed behind the scenes. And he effectively remains Swansea's manager after the Championship club demanded compensation for the backroom staff he wants to take to Wigan.
A Wigan spokesman confirmed: "There is going to be no resolution today as we are still talking to Swansea."
Earlier chief executive Brenda Spencer said they had been unable to contact Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins since Wednesday night - when she held further talks with Martinez - but were still hopeful of concluding the deal.
"We have an agreement with Roberto verbally but he cannot sign at the moment to be our manager until Swansea sign the agreement between the two clubs," said Spencer.
"It's absolutely frustrating because at no time over the last week have Swansea ever mentioned anything about backroom staff."
Spencer added: "We have an agreement for Roberto, we just have to see what compensation they want (for the rest). Unfortunately we cannot get hold of their chairman at the moment.
"We just have to get on to Swansea about compensation for backroom staff.
"We hope to get something sorted today or tomorrow (Friday) but certainly early next week.
"At about 11am this morning we did think this was something we could sort out in time but until we get hold of the Swansea chairman there is not much we can do.
"I'd just say to the fans to hold on tight and keep their fingers crossed and their toes crossed and hopefully Roberto will be our manager today or tomorrow."