Wigan chairman in the dark over any approach for boss Martinez

Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan says there has been no contact from Everton about Roberto Martinez moving to Goodison Park to replace the departed David Moyes.

Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan says there has been no contact from Everton about Roberto Martinez moving to Goodison Park to replace the departed David Moyes.

Speaking before Tuesday's clash against Arsenal, Whelan said: "It is something we face every year and if we do get relegated he may decide he wants to stay in the Premier League, but he may decide he wants to stay with Wigan because he is a great favourite here."

Asked if there had been an approach from Everton, Whelan added: "No. Everton would never do anything like that until the end of the season.

"Bill is keen on his football and is a total gentleman, so he would never do that until we know what our destiny is and whether we are staying in the Premier League or whether we are going to get relegated.

"If they do approach us it is entirely up to Roberto whether he wants to go to Everton or stay at Wigan."

Have your say