Melbourne Victory’s midfield pair of Carlos Hernandez and Jose Luis Lopez have been selected in the Costa Rican squad for upcoming World Cup qualifiers.
The matches are against Suriname in Paramaribo on October 11 and Haiti in Costa Rica’s capital San Jose on October 15.
Victory Football Operations Manager said the latest call-up for Hernandez was due to his recent good form and was happy for the 26-year old.
Speaking on the club’s official website, Cole said, “Carlos has been working hard at training and has been playing some great football this season, so he’s been rewarded and is delighted to be back in the Costa Rican side for their World Cup qualifiers.”
On the other hand, Lopez played in the last two qualifiers which were a 7-0 home win against Suriname and a 3-1 victory over Haiti and acquitted himself well according to Cole.
He added, “Jose Luis has been outstanding since arriving in Australia earlier this year and was also a notable performer in Costa Rica’s World Cup qualifiers earlier this month.
“We’re currently working with the Costa Rica federation to see if we can get the players back in time for our match against Newcastle, although you lose a day flying from that part of the world, so it’s unlikely at this stage.”