The Daily Mail says there are reports that the 8-0 Champions League win over Besiktas last month is considered suspicious because of irregular betting patterns. UEFA officials refused to confirm or deny the allegations.
After losing 8-0 at Anfield on November 6, with Yossi Benayoun scoring a hat trick, players and staff from the Turkish club said how 'ashamed' they were.
Investigators for Sueddeutsche Zeitung, a Munich daily, claim that there was 'frenzied betting on a high-score victory' prior to the game. UEFA have made no contact with Liverpool and last night officials at Anfield said they could not comment because they had no knowledge of any controversy.
"At this stage I can neither confirm nor deny the reports," UEFA chief William Gaillard told the Daily Mail. "There has to be a certain amount of confidentiality with these things because we could risk a source of information drying up."