Sydney striker Aloisi admits international career is over

In-form Sydney FC striker John Aloisi admits his time with the Australian national team is over but has no regrets after a stellar career.

The 34-year old has helped his club to the Premiers’ Plate and the semi-final so far this season but after missing selection for the Socceroos squad that will take on Indonesia in the final Asian Cup qualifier in Brisbane on Wednesday, says his days of wearing the green and gold are surely finished.

''I think I can say now that I don't think it's going to happen again,'' he said.

''I can't complain though, I've had a great career with the Socceroos. I played a lot of games, I went to a World Cup and played there, which was a massive highlight for me.

''But this time I'm going to enjoy watching them and, hopefully, the boys do just as well at this World Cup.''

But the ex-Portsmouth, Coventry City and Osasuna hitman admitted his focus has definitely been on the Sky Blues of late.

''Recently, I've only been worried about doing the right thing for Sydney and scoring goals and winning games,'' he added.

Have your say

Related Images