The striker headed back to Carrow Road after Saturday's 1-1 draw with Crawley.
Swindon boss Paolo Di Canio told the Swindon Advertiser: "We took one month to get him fit and see him as an athlete as he was in the past.
"Even if I had an intention to keep him, in the last few days before the transfer window finished, he said to me he had a chance or he still has a chance to move to a different club - maybe the Championship.
"Thanks to him for what he has done. I wanted to keep him even if he didn't affect my team too much. He scored one goal, he won one penalty when we were already on top with Tranmere, he challenged one ball at Bournemouth but in 12 games it was very, very poor in some way.
"The fact he had already thought about a move to another place that is not for me."