Redknapp proud taking Portsmouth to Wembley

Harry Redknapp insists he will go to Wembley on Saturday with his conscience completely clear as he concentrates totally on taking Portsmouth to the FA Cup final for the first time in 69 years.

ord=Math.random()*10000000000000000;document.write('');

Redknapp, 61, has taken only a short time out this week from preparing Pompey for their semi-final clash with Championship contenders West Brom to publicly discuss his feelings over the personal problems which could have wrecked his career since the launch of an ongoing police probe into alleged soccer corruption.

But Redknapp, 25 years a manager of Bournemouth, West Ham and Southampton as well as Portsmouth, this week spoke out following his arrest by City of London Police late last year on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud and false accounting.

Bail notices are still in place on the five men arrested - including Redknapp, Portsmouth chief executive Peter Storrie and former Pompey owner Milan Mandaric, and the likelihood is that the case will drag on well beyond next month's final, although no charges have yet been brought.

Redknapp has consulted lawyers and strongly denies any wrongdoing.

He said: "It is like anything. When you know you haven't done something wrong it doesn't bother you, does it?

"If I had done something wrong, I would be more bothered than anybody. I couldn't handle it. But when you haven't it is not a problem.

"Sure, I took it to work. I explained to the lads what it was all about. After it happened I had a meeting and told everyone (at the club) what was going on.

"It is just a load of nonsense that has nothing to do with me in any shape or form, and that will be proved. So I just come to work and get on with it."

He added: "If I had done something wrong I would go away and hide, I would want to kill myself, I really would."

Have your say

Related Images