Real Madrid slam Barcelona and Federation over brawl investigation
The Royal Spanish Football Federation announced earlier on Tuesday that Madrid coach Jose Mourinho is to be investigated after appearing to put a finger in the eye of Barcelona assistant Tito Vilanova, while suspensions were also announced for Madrid's Marcelo and Mesut Ozil, and Barcelona's David Villa.
Real have now issued their own reaction to the announcement of an investigation and even hit out at Barca, despite the Catalan club refusing to file an official complaint.
"Real Madrid CF has from the beginning opted to show prudence and responsibility so as not to feed the tense atmosphere created by such events," the statement said.
"Real Madrid CF wishes to express how surprised it is to see this investigation is being ordered five days after the match, curiously just a few hours after the President of FC Barcelona publicly demanded the Spanish Football Federation to take action.
"Real Madrid CF hopes said investigation absolutely clarifies what happened during and after the match. The club hopes it throws light onto the provocations, humiliations, insults and aggressions that our first team squad and coaching staff were subjected to both on the pitch and inside the tunnel leading to the dressing rooms. These things regrettably gave way to the incidents that took place.
"Real Madrid CF will continue to defend this entity's inherent values and will always strive for the greatest collaboration possible between clubs and institutions throughout the world."