QPR defender Ferdinand shocked by Terry verdict

QPR defender Anton Ferdinand is shocked by the verdict in the John Terry case.

The Chelsea captain was cleared of racially abusing Ferdinand last week.

A source close to Anton told the Sunday Mirror: “He is deeply worried that children across Britain who play football for their school or their Sunday teams could think it’s acceptable to use such insults.

“He hoped that the trial would be a landmark case in as much as it would show the nation that racism is simply not acceptable.

“Anton has done lots of work with children over the years. It is something he is passionate about.

“He grew up in an under-privileged area but has done well. He wants to encourage others to do the same.”

Anton didn’t learn of the verdict until 10 hours after chief magistrate Howard Riddle acquitted Terry.

Anton was told the news via several text messages when he landed in Hong Kong at midnight on Friday following a 12-hour flight from London’s Heathrow airport.

He was surrounded by his Rangers team-mates when he turned his mobile phone on as the plane touched down.

A source close to the star, who has formerly played for West Ham and Sunderland, said he received a flurry of texts before logging on to the internet on his phone to read about the verdict.

The source said: “Anton is really, really down in the dumps, he didn’t know what to say when he heard the verdict.

“His face fell which is unusual for Anton because he doesn’t usually like to show too much emotion.

“He was saying on the way to Hong Kong that he didn’t think Terry would be found guilty. He is of the opinion that John Terry is a big name and a big figure in football.

“He is also pleased to be out of the UK while all of this blows over.

“He needs to come to terms with what has happened because he is very, very disappointed.

“Anton has been getting brilliant support from his team-mates.”

Have your say

Related Images