PREMIERSHIP WRAP: Man Utd stroll on South Coast, West Ham win eight goal thriller and Blackburn, Wigan and Fulham all draw

A Wayne Rooney hat trick saw Manchester United win at Portsmouth whilst Jimmy Bullard's late penalty gave Hull a share of the points against draw specialists Manchester City.

Avram Grant's first game in charge as Portsmouth boss ended in a 4-1 home defeat to Manchester United with Wayne Rooney hitting three, two from the penalty spot, and Ryan Giggs completing the scoring with his 100th Premier League goal.

Half time at Fratton Park ended all square courtesy of two penalties; first from Rooney quickly followed by a leveller from Kevin-Prince Boateng.

Paul Scholes restored the visitor's lead just after the break before Rooney got his second from a Giggs cross.

The Wales veteran was then brought down for Rooney to claim the match ball and Giggs then hit his landmark goal with three minutes remaining.

Hull City's mini-revival continued as they drew 1-1 away to Manchester City who made it seven draws on the bounce.

City were not at their best and a fortunate deflected strike by Shaun Wright-Phillips gave them the lead on the stroke of half time.

Hull had chances in the second period and were rewarded with eight minutes remaining.

Kolo Torre was ruled to have brought down Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink in the box and Bullard did the rest from 12 yards for the second successive week to earn Phil Brown's side a deserved point.

Burnley's away day woes continued as they were thumped 5-3.

The Hammers were three up by the break as Jake Collison, Junior Stanislas and a Carlton Cole penalty took advantage of some shambolic Clarets defending.

Guillermo Franco made it four and Hammers substitute Luis Jimenez scored the fifth from another penalty.

Burnley then embarked on a mini-revival Steven Fletcher twice finished carbon copy Chris Eagles' crosses and the provider scored a late third.

In between Steven Caldwell saw red for a professional foul on Zavon Hines.

At Craven Cottage Fulham came from behind to claim a point from their game with Bolton.

Ivan Klasnic gave the struggling Wanderers a half time lead but Damien Duff restores parity and a share of the spoils in the 75th minute.

Sunderland went down to the only goal of the game at Wigan, ruining Steve Bruce's return to the Latics.

Hugo Rodallega's second half winner was disputed by the Black Cats who felt the Colombian had committed an infringement in the build up to the goal.

At a cold damp Ewood Park Blackburn and Stoke City played out an uninspiring goalless draw.

Defences were on top with both keepers being called upon to keep their teams in the game.

Rovers midfielder Steven N'Zonzi went closest to breaking the deadlock as his strike came back off the Stoke post and in the final minute Christopher Samba almost won it for the home side.

Have your say

Related Images