My tribe

Perth and Newcastle finish level in fiery affair

Perth Glory and Newcastle Jets have shared the points in a controversial and fiery encounter at Members Equity Stadium yesterday. Jets striker Joel Griffiths opened the scoring in the 17th minute with a powerful drive from just inside the box before Glory's Nikita Rukavytsya equalised ten minutes later with a well-taken left foot shot into the top corner.

Just before the stroke of half time, midfielder Tarek Elrich gave the visitors the lead and the momentum going into the main break.

The second half was full of action and saw two players sent off and a dramatic conclusion to the match in injury time.

Perth's Adrian Trinidad was blocked in the penalty area by Jets captain Jade North and referee Matthew Breeze pointed to the spot, much to the dismay of the Jets players.

Striker Eugene Dadi duly converted the second penalty attempt after some confusion, giving the home side a share of the points and essentially a 'get out of jail free' card.

Mayhem ensued as Jets boss Gary van Egmond rushed on to the pitch and clashed with Trinidad, accusing him of diving in a somewhat nasty run in that put a dampener on the entertaining match.

Glory coach Dave Mitchell was breathing slightly easier after the match but believed his side could have managed to grab all three points.

"Relieved really," he said following the match. "I think the second half we pushed and pushed and pushed to get an equaliser and hopefully it would have been earlier 'cause I think we would have gone on and won the game."

Both sides drop one position on the table with the Glory now sitting on the bottom and the Jets one place above leading into the week off next weekend.

Andrew Slevison
About the author

Andrew Slevison

Have your say
  • Add your favourite leagues and clubs
  • Build your own personal news stream
  • Easily share your favourite stories
  • Connect with what your friends are saying

Select your favourite
leagues and clubs
to get started.

Already part of MyTribe?