Newcastle’s Tinkler makes funds available but Culina to wait until January for new Jets striker

Newcastle Jets owner Nathan Tinkler has made funds available for a new striker but coach Branko Culina says he will wait until January before making any moves.

Newcastle Jets owner Nathan Tinkler has made funds available for a new striker but coach Branko Culina says he will wait until January before making any moves.

The Jets have been toothless in front of goal so far this season with just four goals in eight games and desperately need to bring in somebody to help captain Michael Bridges and Jeremy Brockie who have carried the burden.

However, Culina does not want to bow to pressure and purchase just anybody outside of the transfer window.

"It's the transfer deadlines that are our handicap," he told the Newcastle Herald.

"You can only sign out-of-contract players until January 1. So if you want to sign someone over the next month or two, it becomes quite difficult.

"It has to be someone who's currently uncontracted, and there wouldn't be too many players out there who are decent and worthwhile that are not currently playing with someone. The only people we could get at the moment are free agents who are not tied to anyone.

"It's about finding the appropriate player as well, because if someone is uncontracted, and they stopped playing say in June, you might not want to bring that player in," he added.

Have your say