Melbourne Victory release Player of Year Covic, Brebner
Melbourne Victory pair Grant Brebner and Ante Covic have been released today.
Since joining the club in season two of the Hyundai A-League, Brebner made 120 appearances, including the Premiership/Championship doubles in 2006/07 and 2008/09, claimed the 2010/11 Victory Medal and scored 6 goals, after arriving from Scottish Premier League club, Dundee United.
Covic, an eleventh-hour signing on the eve of last season, capped an impressive first campaign by being named the 2011/12 Victory Medallist last Friday night, but with Tando Velaphi and young-gun Lawrence Thomas both already contracted for next season, the 36 year-old was the unlucky one to make way, as Ange Postecoglou begins shaping his squad ahead of next season.
Reflecting on his time at Melbourne Victory, Brebner said he had no regrets, "When I first came out from Scotland it was a bit of a step into the unknown, but 6 years down the path I've enjoyed plenty of success here and I'm even an Australian citizen now, so it's been a great experience.
"Obviously the trophies we won will forever be the highlight, but I've made a lot of great friends over the years too."
Fresh from his Victory Medal win last week, Covic was understandably disappointed not to have won another contract.
"I was pretty happy with my season last year and was hopeful of getting another contract, but sometimes things don't work out that way in football," Covic said.
Managing Director Richard Wilson said, "Grant and Ante have made great contributions to our club and we thank them for what they have given to us, not just on the pitch, but off it also.
"Both boys have won the Victory Medal so that in itself is a fair reflection of the impact they've had since joining Melbourne Victory, and we wish them all the best for the future."