Melbourne’s Hernandez to take on Newcastle Jets

Melbourne Victory midfielder Carlos Hernandez is likely to make a return to the starting line-up for Sunday’s away clash with the Newcastle Jets.

The Costa Rican was out of the team last week because of an ankle injury but is expected to be fully fit to face the Jets which will be a boost to the reigning champions as he has been one of the best players in the competition this season.

Two Victory players who are in doubt for the match are Matthew Kemp and Archie Thompson who are on international duty with Australia for the Asian Cup qualifier with Kuwait on Thursday morning but if they get through the game without any harm they should line up according to defender Rodrigo Vargas.

“It's a long trip but any boys that have ever gone away with the national team and come back into the Hyundai A-League, it's a massive boost. The boys will be buzzing, hopefully they both get a start and a full game and there's no doubt they'll come back full of confidence and looking fit," he said.

Vargas said it was important the Victory bounced back from their disappointing last start loss to North Queensland Fury.

"I think it was up there with our most disappointing efforts. It was hot, and we had players out, but they are not excuses. We are a top two side and we think we are good enough to cover those things. We just didn't perform on the day," he added.

"It's been two weeks, we're all looking forward to the next game. There's a few things we have to rectify if we are going to stay in the top two."

Have your say

Related Images