The Guardian says United and England forward was interviewed under caution after the incident near Oxford Street on Tuesday evening, Scotland Yard said today.
The 22-year-old was reportedly leaving a restaurant with his wife and was spoken to by police at a neutral venue after a third party made a complaint. A report is expected to be sent to the Crown Prosecution Service, which will decide whether to bring charges.
"At 12.10am on Wednesday we received a third-party allegation that a photographer had been spat at by an individual outside a restaurant in Hanway Street, W1," a Metropolitan police spokesman said. "Officers established the incident occurred at approximately 10.20pm on Tuesday evening. The alleged suspect, a 22-year-old male, was spoken to by police. He was not arrested and did not attend a police station. Inquiries continue."