Robin van Persie was the only current Premier League player to be voted into FIFA’s Ballon d’Or Top 10 for 2012.
International captains, coaches and media from around the world cast their votes to see who would take out the mantle as the world’s best footballer with Lionel Messi winning for the fourth straight year.
A top ten has since been released with Manchester United’s van Persie making the cut for his exploits whilst with Arsenal last year. Former Chelsea star Didier Drogba, now with Shanghai Shenhua, was also included in the elite group after helping the Blues to the Champions League/FA Cup double.
FIFA Ballon d’Or Top 10 for 2012
1. Lionel Messi (Barcelona and Argentina) - 41.6% of total vote
2. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid and Portugal) – 23.68%
3. Andres Iniesta (Barcelona and Spain) – 10.91%
4. Xavi Hernandez (Barcelona and Spain) – 4.08%
5. Radamel Falcao (Atletico Madrid and Colombia) – 3.67%
6. Iker Casillas (Real Madrid and Spain) – 3.18%
7. Andrea Pirlo (Juventus and Italy) – 2.66%
8. Didier Drogba (*Shanghai Shenhua and Ivory Coast) – 2.6%
9. Robin van Persie (*Manchester United and Holland) – 1.45%
10. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (*Paris Saint-Germain and Sweden) – 1.24%