Liverpool rubbish Benitez claims of Torres being subject to £70M bid

Liverpool have dismissed Rafa Benitez's claims Fernando Torres could have been sold for £70 million last year.

Former Reds manager says Liverpool undersold Torres to Chelsea on Monday.

But a highly-placed Liverpool source told the Sunday Express that Benitez is talking rubbish because they received just one official offer for their Spanish striker last summer. A £28m bid was lodged by Chelsea in talks between Stamford Bridge chairman Bruce Buck and the then Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton.

The source added: “Either Rafa’s memory is playing tricks or he is simply mischief making, because there has never been any talk of a club prepared to offer £70m or anything like that figure.”

 
Click here for the No1 coverage of all the gossip and transfer news around Liverpool.

Have your say

Related Images