My tribe

Liverpool captain Gerrard remains in custody

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard is still in custody after he was arrested over a nightclub brawl.

The England international was one of six men held after a fight outside a late-night bar in Southport, Merseyside.

The venue's DJ, a 34-year-old local man, required hospital treatment after suffering facial injuries.

Gerrard, 28, was at the restaurant and bar - which turns into a nightclub - with friends to celebrate Liverpool's 5-1 victory against Newcastle.

After the game on Tyneside, Gerrard, who scored twice, hailed his table-topping side as the best he has played in. But several hours later he was apparently caught up in an altercation outside the Lounge Inn in Bold Street.

Police were called and arrested six men on suspicion of assault in nearby Lord Street.

The town centre business remained shut on Monday but evidence of a fight inside could be seen through the windows. Spots of blood were clearly visible on the floor, along with shards of broken glass.

Gerrard's wife Alex Curran, 26, left a coffee shop close to the police station in Southport where the father of her two children was being questioned.

She refused to answer reporters' questions as she walked to her Bentley car and drove off towards Liverpool.

The sister of the Lounge Inn co-owner, Dario Curcillo, said the footballer was in the club to celebrate his team's win over Newcastle.

She said: "As far as I know he comes here regularly and it was just a normal night at the bar. I don't know anything about what happened last night."

Gerrard has been capped by England 70 times and has captained his country on four occasions.

He was made an MBE last year and received an honorary fellowship from Liverpool John Moores University.

Liverpool's next match is against Preston in the FA Cup on Saturday.

A police spokesman said: "Merseyside Police are investigating an assault that took place in the early hours of Monday December 29 on Bold Street in Southport.

"At around 2.30am this morning officers attended a disturbance at a licensed premises on Bold Street.

"Six men were arrested on suspicion of section 20 assault on Lord Street.

"The men, four aged 33, 31, 29 and 19, who all come from the Huyton area, a 28-year-old man from Formby and an 18-year-old man from Litherland remain in police custody.

"A 34-year-old man from Southport was taken to hospital with facial injuries which are not believed to be life-threatening."

A Liverpool spokesman said the club would not be commenting on their captain's arrest.

About the author

Tribal Football Staff

Have your say
  • Add your favourite leagues and clubs
  • Build your own personal news stream
  • Easily share your favourite stories
  • Connect with what your friends are saying

Select your favourite
leagues and clubs
to get started.

Already part of MyTribe?