The Hyundai A-League 2009/10 action starts this week in the new-look 10 team competition.
With one extra game every week, battle lines have been drawn. From Perth to Wellington and Adelaide to Townsville.
Hyundai A-League: Be part of something bigger.
Thursday 6 August 2009, Etihad Stadium, 8.00pm local
- It’s been three years since a reigning Championship side won its first match of the following season. Only Sydney FC (2006 reigning Champions) did it in their opening tie in 2006-07 (1-0 v Mariners).
Friday 7 August 2009, Hindmarsh Stadium, 7.30pm local (8.00pm AEST)
- Perth Glory’s Jacob Burns and Mile Sterjovski, are set to reunite in their first national league match in Australia in over nine years. The two played in the same final match, for Parramatta Power, on 7 May 2000.
Saturday 8 August 2009, Dairy Farmers Stadium, 5.30pm local
- Never before in over 6,000 matches played at national league level in Australia has a match been played north of Brisbane.
Saturday 8 August 2009, Suncorp Stadium, 7.30pm local
- The historic first-ever Queensland derby pits Gold Coast United coach Miron Bleiberg against his former team (Brisbane Roar) for just the second time in Hyundai A-League history. The first time a coach came up against his old club was in September 2008, when John Kosmina led Sydney FC to a 3-1 victory over his old club Adelaide United.
Sunday 9 August 2009, EnergyAustralia Stadium, 3.00pm local
- Newcastle Jets’ defender Adam D’Apuzzo is set to make his 50th Hyundai A-League appearance.
It’s a big week for birthdays with six teams lighting the candles for their players.
- Queensland teams will be helping cut the cake for five players with Brisbane Roar players Sergio Van Dijk turning 27 on Thursday and goalkeeper Liam Reddy turning 28 this Saturday; Jason Culina of Gold Coast United turns 29 tomorrow; and North Queensland Fury’s Rob Middleby turns 34 this Sunday while Paul Kohler hits the 30 milestone.
- Melbourne Victory’s Kevin Muscat is still ahead of the game at 36 and Matthew Kemp turns 29 on Saturday.