Flores' Adelaide United future still not sorted
Adelaide United fear that star playmaker Marcos Flores could leave the club as a free agent. The Argentine, who was the 2010/11 A-League Player of the Year, has not responded to the Reds' offer of a new three-year deal and head coach Rini Coolen says he could be on his way out just as young gun Mathew Leckie recently.
"There's a chance (Flores leaves on a free transfer)... that's what we found out with Leckie last year," Coolen told the SA Sunday Mail.
"But that's because we didn't talk to him about a new offer early in the season. I think we've started (the process) with Flores at the right moment. So as a club, you can't do more than that."
"We prefer to have the decision made as soon as possible but, if he needs more time, that's fine with me."
Flores has attracted interest from some clubs overseas but Coolen is confident that he loves the club enough to stay put.
"He had a very good season," Coolen added. "He showed us that he's not only a key player but also a team player... he does well with the fans and I think he really likes playing for Adelaide United.
"We're trying to do everything we can to keep him here but it's up to him whether that's enough."