Everton’s Cahill cops three-match ban

Everton star Tim Cahill will miss the first three matches of the next Premier League season after his appeal for last weekend’s red card was rejected.

Everton star Tim Cahill will miss the first three matches of the next Premier League season after his appeal for last weekend’s red card was rejected.

The Australian international was shown a straight red when he was involved in an incident with Newcastle United’s Yohan Cabaye at the final whistle of the Toffees’s 3-1 home win on Sunday.

Cahill was provoked by the Frenchman – who has since apologised on the Magpies’ website – but his three-match suspension will stand meaning the Socceroos ace will be unavailable for the first three league fixtures of the 2012/13 season.

"My reaction at the end of the game was out of character but I was disgusted at comments made to me by Cabaye,” Cahill told Everton’s official website earlier in the week.

"I don't wish to elaborate on the exact detail of what was said - but his words have no place either on or off the football pitch.

"Cabaye has apologised via his club's website and as far as I am concerned the matter is now closed."

 

Click here to reach the No1 destination for hard news and exciting gossip on Everton

Have your say