Chivas USA defender Jimmy Conrad has announced his official retirement as a professional soccer player.
The 34-year old made the announcement during a press conference which took place this Thursday afternoon at the Home Depot Center, home of Chivas USA in Carson, California.
"I spoke to people that are close to me, like my family, but mainly it was the doctors and coaches who helped me come to this conclusion. They informed me that it was probably in my best interest to retire, you know after six 'documented' concussions,” said Conrad.
"The doctors couldn't tell me what was going to happen if I suffered another one, what the long-term damage would be. I still have symptoms, I still have a headache that comes and goes. So, they basically said that this is probably what I should do (retire). I've had a good career, and a lot to be proud of so I think this is probably in my best interest to shut it down."
He enjoyed a loan spell with Polish club Lech Poznan in 2000 before departing San Jose for Kansas City to join the Wizards in 2003, where he remained until the end of last year.
Conrad, who has represented the USA on 27 occasions, joined Chivas ahead of the 2011 MLS season but managed just two appearances.