Beckham meets with Miami council over stadium plans

David Beckham has met with Miami-Dade County officials regarding a proposed site for a brand new stadium for his team.

David Beckham has met with Miami-Dade County officials regarding a proposed site for a brand new stadium for his team.

The former Manchester United, Real Madrid and LA Galaxy star is planning a new development in downtown Miami as he prepares to bring his MLS expansion franchise into the league by 2017.

Beckham initially wanted to build on the waterfront at PortMiami but his plans have been blocked by an alliance formed by Royal Caribbean Cruises.

However, Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez has proposed that Beckham and his investors investigate a site in between Museum Park and the AmericanAirlines Arena which has already drawn a positive reaction from the former England captain.

"It's very exciting, it gives us another option, it gives us another location which has come out of the blue, which it's gone from having one great possible location to two," Beckham told reporters Wednesday.

"We're very happy.

"We still want to build a stadium that seats 20, 25, possibly 30,000, but I'd take a 25,000 seat stadium in an iconic location.

"One of the reasons why we've always said we love the Port of Miami is in my eyes it fits the vision of what we want to create and what we want to create for the people of Miami and the city of Miami."

Regarding the opposition from the Miami Seaport Alliance, Beckham made it clear that he was not in Miami to step on anyone’s toes.

"I'm an Englishman, I've been welcomed into Miami with open arms so far, I don't want to be a negative for this city, I don't want to be a negative for Miami," he added.

 
For breaking stories and all the great banter like us on Facebook: facebook.com/tribalfootball

Have your say