Michael Ballack's agent says his client is stunned at being released by Chelsea. The English champions confirmed on Wednesday that Ballack, Joe Cole and Juliano Belletti would be leaving the club when their contracts expire at the end of the month.
It was thought Chelsea had made the decision on Ballack having failed to agree terms on a new deal.
But his agent, Michael Becker, claimed there had been no recent contact with the club so the news came as a shock to the 33-year-old.
Becker added that Ballack would have been willing to take a pay cut to stay with Chelsea and that he would have accepted a one-year deal with an option for a second year based on appearances.
"He was completely surprised," Becker told German broadcaster RTL.
"He has not spoken to Chelsea for three months."
Germany coach Joachim Low has claimed there are already several offers for Ballack, who is currently on holiday in Miami after being ruled out of the World Cup through injury.
"I am certain that Ballack will play two or three more years at the top level so he will certainly not be thinking of ending his career," he said.
"He has lots of opportunities, and he told me this in Sicily. He even has some concrete offers from different clubs in different leagues.
"I think when you see what condition he was in recent months for Chelsea then it is clear he will play at the highest level for two to three more years."