Australia snub Newcastle superkid Inman

Newcastle United have already offered youngster Brad Inman a three-year pro contract.

Newcastle United have already offered youngster Brad Inman a three-year pro contract.

The Adelaide-born midfielder, 17, was capped by Scotland U19 last week and is nicknamed 'Kaka' by his teammates.

Inman was on the bench for Newcastle's game against Manchester City in January and told the Sunday Mail: "It's my dream, really.

"I started playing football when I was six, so I've always just really wanted to play football.

"Sitting on the bench - it's hard to explain because it's that good. I wanted to come on (against Man City). I was nervous but I knew that when you're on the pitch you just focus on what to do."

Newcastle's academy director, Richard Money, a former coach of Newcastle Jets in the A-League, said it was Inman's skills and hard work ethic that prompted his inclusion in the senior squad.

"I think he deserved the first-team call-up," Money said. "He's had a particularly good first season.

"A number of our first-years have done the same but he's probably shone above the rest. It's a big boost for everyone involved in the youth program when you get a 17-year-old boy on the bench; it's a bit special."

Of his international ambitions, Inman added: "I did think if I can come over to Newcastle then the next step is to try to play for Australia.

"But no one's been in contact with me or anything.

"My goals are playing for Newcastle's first team, and either playing for Scotland or Australia, maybe in a World Cup.

"At the minute playing for Scotland, it's a lot better.

"If you travel to Australia you've got to sit on a plane for 24 hours and you don't play matches that are as good.

"So, at the minute, it's Scotland."

Have your say