Australia’s Cahill to learn World Cup fate tomorrow

Australia star Tim Cahill will learn his World Cup fate tomorrow when FIFA’s Disciplinary Committee reviews the incident in which he was red-carded against Germany on Monday morning.

Football Federation Australia have sent a letter to the sport’s world governing body to ensure Cahill only receives a one-match ban for his second half challenge on Bastian Schweinsteiger and not two as has been mooted.

Socceroos coach Pim Verbeek believes the Everton midfielder should never have been given the card and said that one match on the sidelines was more than enough.

“One game is more than enough because it's not that bad," said the Dutchman.

"I saw the incident again today and the decision (of Mexican referee Marco Rodriguez) seemed very harsh to me.

"I have seen worse than in this tournament so far which have only been yellow cards. It wasn't that he set out to hurt the player. A yellow card would have been more than enough."

Cahill’s case seems strong as Schweinsteiger came out and said that the challenge definitely did not warrant a red card.

"A lot of players could have milked that situation but for him to say I shouldn't have been sent off meant a lot to me," Cahill said.

Have your say

Related Images